Secrets and Spices of the Amazon
Have you ever imagined savoring the delights of Amazonian cuisine? On this journey we will explore the profound secrets and tantalizing spices of this unique region that has yet to be discovered by the world. Belém and Cotijuba Island await you for an immersion into the multisensorial universe of the Amazon, where we will not only taste the abundance of its gastronomic diversity, but also take part in numerous hands-on experiences together with the people of the local community!
- Amazon rainforest
- Craft Workshops
- Amazon Culinary Workshops
- Traditional Communities
- Historic city
- Freshwater Beaches
opening photo: ©
click on the images to zoom
Regardless of your time of arrival in Belém, a private transfer will meet you at the airport and escort you to our charming hotel. Enjoy the day and evening at leisure to explore and enjoy Cidade de Mangeiras- our host and guide will happily provide recommendations to all guests for the best of what to do and see. At night, we will chat at the hotel to prepare ourselves for our upcoming Amazonian experiences.
· Meals: none
· Accommodation: Hotel Quinta das Pedras or similar
Visiting: Ver-o-peso Market, Historic Center and Estação das Docas
After breakfast at the hotel we will visit one of the most famous sights in Belém: the popular Ver-o-Peso Market; here one can find the largest varieties of regional products and the unique specialties of Pará state cuisine! In the afternoon, we will set out on walking tour through the historic center of the city of Belém. We will learn about the city’s colonial architecture and its regional culture, along with its important role in the occupation of the Amazonian region. To cap off this delightful afternoon we will enjoy the sunset at Estação das Docas, on the banks of the Guajará river bay.
· Meals: B
· Accommodations: Hotel Quinta das Pedras or similar
Visiting: Community of the Island of Cotijuba and Praia do Vai Quem Quer
After breakfast, we will head out to the Port of Icoaraci, from where we will embark via riverboat to the Island of Cotijuba. Upon arrival, we will be welcomed by our hosts from the local community and we will take part in various activities, including a delicious lunch at the headquarters of the MMIB (Belém Islands Women’s Movement) project. In the afternoon, we will begin our dive into community life, checking in to one of the local guesthouses run by our hostesses and relaxing on the famous beach of Vai Quem Quer; this white-sand paradise looks like it’s on the sea, when actually it is a fresh-water river beach! At the end of the day we will enjoy home-cooked dinners prepared by each of our hostesses.
· Meals: BLD
· Accommodation: Local Guesthouses
Visiting: Amazon Culinary Workshop, Bio-Jewelry workshop and Community Immersion
After a fantastic regional breakfast at your guesthouse, we will dive into the Amazon culture! Together with the women of the MMIB and our culinary specialist, we will learn how to make several local dishes and sit down to savor the fruits of our labor over a wonderful and delicious lunch. In the afternoon, we will continue with a hands-on workshop learning about the various seeds and other natural materials of the Brazilian Amazon that can become beautiful bio-jewelry. After a full day of learning, we will have time to relax and interact with our surroundings and the welcoming community of the island.
· Meals: BLD
· Accommodations: Local Guesthouses
Visiting: Interpretive Trail through the Amazon Rainforest & Beach Luau
Today we will venture out on an exciting interpretive trail through the Amazon rainforest, learning about local flora and fauna along the way. The trail ends with a splash in a welcomed and refreshing river bath. After lunch and a well-deserved rest, we set to work alongside our hostesses to prepare everything from the decorations to the food for our amazing beach luau this evening- an experience that will delight the senses with the rhythms, flavors and warmth of Para state.
· Meals: BLD
· Accommodations: Local Guesthouses
Visiting: Project with the elderly of Cotijuba Island, Ceramic Workshop & Farewell Dinner
The last morning on the island, before we depart, we will learn about the community actions to keep the Amazon Forest thriving and the project that MMIB has with the elderly of Cotijuba. After a special farewell lunch and this cultural immersion, it is time to say good bye. We will board our river boat back to Icoaraci. The transfer will take you to the airport, with the memories of all the unforgettable experiences in the Amazonian region
- Meals: BL
Check rates with the Vivejar Team, email@example.com or +55 11 3031-3034.
Payment Terms: Bank Transfer or Credit Card.
The group is confirmed from the 6th paying person. If this number is less than 6 people, the prices will be adjusted, or the exit will be canceled until the date of 9/30/2018.
Activities / Outings
Luau / Gathering at the beach
Meals at community
Trail / Hiking
- In Belém, do not forget to try: tacacá, açaí, the different flours (made of madioca and tapioca), fish (yellow hake and cub), maniçoba, juices and ice creams made from regional fruits (cupuaçú, bacuri, muruci, taperebá, etc.), brazil nuts and tapioquinhas (or beiju).
- The immersion in the amazons is essential in order to get to know a life that is very peculiar, therefore be curious and ask questions to the local residents about their daily life and compare it to your own.
- The açaí that is consumed in Belém a very different from how it is consumed in the remaining part of Brazil and abroad: people from Pará enjoy the juices from the fruit with flour, fried fish, shrimps or tried meat. You should try it!
- Belém is known for being a humid and hot city, therefore bring clothes that are light and that will dry quickly. Your luggage will be lighter and you will not suffer so much from the local climate.
- Do not forget to bring:
- Light clothes for walking
- Comfortable sandals
- First Aid Kit
- Sun glasses
- Sun screen
- Bug repellent
- Umbrella or rain coat
- Airline tickets
- Meals in Belém during the days mentioned (1 dinner and 2 lunches)
- Alcoholic beverages, private phone calls, laundry and other personal expenses
- Optional activities not mentioned in this program
Request a service