Alter do Chão on board 2019 | History, Culture and Nature (Pará) | November 16 to 19, 2019
Visiting the Brazilian Amazon goes far beyond its natural beauty. Thinking of a complete and enriching experience, we prepared this 4-day itinerary through the Tapajós and Arapiuns Rivers, at the Alter do Chão region, State of Pará. On board of a comfortable boat with private cabins and full board, sailing calmly so you can enjoy the landscape and enjoy the journey, we arrive at not common destinations that still keep amazing stories and secrets. Prepare to know the natural beauty of the region and also the history, geography, people and projects that make this region so enchanting.
We hope that, at the end of the trip, you will carry the energy of the Amazon and be, like us, more and more passionate about this land!
•Local Social Work Projects
•Best times to travel: year-round
opening photo: ©
Our trip begins in Santarém, known for its undeniable environmental wealth. Located on the edge of the crystalline waters of the Tapajós River, it has more than 100 kilometers of white sand beaches, distributed along the largest reservoir of groundwater found until today. Surrounded by the Amazon rainforest, some demarcated protected areas guarantee the preservation of the rich biodiversity. At Santarém airport a Vivejar host will be ready to welcome you and follow you to the village of Alter do Chão – a journey of approximately 40 minutes in private cars. On arrival at the villa, board our boat, which will be, with our crew, waiting for you. From now on, we will take care of everything! Enjoy the first bath in the river, get to know the village and get ready for the end of the day on board. In the fresh and calm Amazonian waters the sunset is to thrill! Overnight on board.
We start the day at the Canal do Jari, dormitory of the birds of the region and a narrow stream of the Amazon River. The canal is ideal to observe some animals of the region, such as alligators, iguanas and parrots In the Arapiuns River, a tributary of the Tapajós, in the community of Urucureá, we will learn about the artisan work of the local cooperative with straw of the tucumã, a typical fruit of the region. Let’s take part in a wickerwork workshop and know how they are produced. The colours, the straws, the shapes … All by the shadow of the rubber tree, a good storytelling momment. Our suggestion after lunch, in this paradisiacal scenario: just let yourself enjoy the calm and fresh Amazonian waters. For the evening, we will have a special dinner: a piracaia, traditional roasted fish on the beach in a very special setting. Overnight on board.
The day starts with a beautiful trail through the jungle, followed by a local driver who will introduce us species of trees and plants of the Amazon rainforest. The trek, known as the chestnut tree trail, lasts from 4 to 5 hours and is made at a fairly quiet pace. For children and those who prefer less physical activity we have an alternative shorter trail to meet the rest of the group in a fresh, crystalline water stream. Lunch on board. After a break, we will visit the project for the implementation of a community library organised by Associação Vagalume, which for more than 10 years has implemented projects to encourage reading in riverside communities in the Amazon, as well as the production process of cassava food that are indispensable at the table of the population of the region. Let’s understand what is the tucupi, where the tapioca comes from and why the flours have different flavours and uses.
We will dock in the village of Alter do Chão. Before leaving, take advantage of the famous Ilha do Amor beach, canoeing by the Green Lake or, for those who want to bring a souvenir gift from the trip, it is time to visit one of the main regional and indigenous handicraft stores of the Amazon. We will have lunch on board and, depending on the time of your flight, transfer to the airport. End of our services. See you next time!
– Transfers: Santarém Airport (STM) / Alter do Chão Village / Santarém Airport (STM);
– 04 daily accommodation in air-conditioned cabin suites on Belle Amazon boat;
– Full board during navigation (breakfast, lunch and dinner) with drinks (mineral water, juices, soft drinks, beers and caipirinhas);
– Activities and community visits mentioned in the program;
– Accredited tourism guide;
– Vivejar Host on board;
– Travel insurance;
– Vivejar travelling kit.
Activities / Outings
– The boarding times are from noon to 08 PM once, depending on the tide, we start sailing this first night.
– For guests arriving in the early hours of the day prior to boarding or even a few days before and staying at the Beloalter, the arrival transfer takes you to your hotel in Alter do Chão. On the boarding day the boat’s speed canoes can pick you up at hotel at no extra cost. For those who are staying in the city of Santarém, there will be no transfer from the airport to the hotel – but from the hotel to the village of Alter do Chão during boarding times.
– The Brazilian Ministry of Health recommends (not mandatory) yellow fever vaccination for all travellers over 9 months old who enter endemic areas in Brazil, such as the Amazon region;
– As it is an itinerary in remote areas. The attractions and routes are subject to change according to the level of the river, ensuring the safety and comfort of travellers;
– The observation of animals in their natural habitat is an activity that depends on several factors (and luck!). In this way, we can not guarantee in advance the sighting of any species;
– Considering the activities on the last day of the itinerary, we suggest the return flight from Santarém Airport is after 3:00 PM;
– The cabins have a large single bed (1.92 x 1.11) and a regular single bed (1.87 x 0.80) in bunk style, accommodating up to 3 people. For convenience and comfort, we indicate a maximum of 02 adults per cabin, with the possibility of a third child passenger;
-Additional for a master cabin with larger space, king size bed (2,03 x 1,95) and panoramic windows: 10% extra the rate per person;
– In the case of navigation with less than 6 passengers, we may occasionally replace the boat with a smaller boat, while maintaining the same structure, characteristics and comfort;
-In accordance with the Brazilian legislation in case of withdrawal after signature of the travel contract, the following will be retained: up to 31 days in advance, 10% of the total amount as operational expenses ; between 30 and 21 days prior to shipment, 20% of the value of the package will be retained; after the 20 days prior to shipment, 80% of the package value.